We are looking for a long term investment...
Founded in 1931, headquartered in London, and with a first-class reputation for superior investment products, M&G Investments is the European asset management arm of the (UK) Prudential Group. The business has grown to approximately $428 billion equivalent in assets under management and serves clients across Europe, Asia Pacific, the Americas and South Africa. Total assets sourced from Asia Pacific institutional clients across Fixed income, Equities, Alternative Investments and Real Estate were approximately US$ 8bn as of October 31, 2017.
M&G Investments' asset base is well diversified across fixed income, equities, multi-asset, real estate, infrastructure and other alternative asset classes. However, the business has achieved significant diversification beyond this and has developed a highly successful and profitable third party institutional and wholesale business on the strength of its investment products and sophistication in distribution. M&G Investments has a strong reputation across institutional investors and their consultants, and some other main contributors to the firm’s success include its well-resourced analyst and portfolio management teams, a consistent investment style leading to strong performance and strategic alignment with the parent company. M&G Investments also takes pride in its very considered, sensible approach to business growth, its low turnover on the investment side and its very collegial working environment.
M&G Investments is now looking to expand its distributor/client coverage in Japan (primarily for institutional business) in order to facilitate the distribution of its asset base capabilities to Japanese investors directly and via local distribution partners. M&G Investments is also exploring opportunities in wholesale distribution by deepening relationships with wholesale distributors and investment managers.
Our current goal is to further establish M&G as a well-trusted name in the Japanese market, building on existing foundations and utilising the firm's strong existing product set, as well as its ability to innovate. Within the APAC business framework, Japanese business is set top priority in the region, with our Japanese client base growing steadily, with further forecasted growth rates. This focus, commensurate with M&G Investments' distribution strategy in other markets, lies on sustainable and profitable business building and development. Given the type of current market opportunities, we are primarily focusing on the institutional market, but we will monitor also the wholesale market and are preparing to move into the wholesale market when opportunities arise.
This role reports into the Managing Director Business Development Japan who is responsible for both institutional and wholesale distribution activities in Japan, maintaining existing and new relationships with potential distribution partners and following up on concrete wholesale distribution opportunities of significant size. The successful candidate will also support him in the wholesale distribution activities.
M&G has ambitious plans for expansion into the Japanese market with currently a primary focus on institutional business, and, to this end, is seeking to recruit a high calibre individual to sustain and grow its business development efforts in Japan. This is a tremendous opportunity to be involved in the asset management activities of a successful international investment manager.
• Answering straight forward client queries in the absence of the relationship manager
• Joining regular meetings with prospects in Japan and co-ordinate follow-ups
• Co-ordinating the schedule for prospects visiting London or Singapore (introductory/due diligence)
• Assisting sales team in preparing presentations for prospects including research
• Assisting sales team with coordinating/ monitoring follow-ups after prospect meetings
• Working with RFPs (including Japanese / English translation)
• Maintaining our CRM database with client meeting notes/docs and updating of client contacts
• Assisting with ad hoc data & analysis requests re our investment capabilities
• Assisting in sales/coverage planning and maintaining management information on the overall institutional business
• Liaising with and maintaining good relationships with various departments in our London headquarters to facilitate our activities.
• Communicating with other M&G offices (such as London) where most of the investment teams are located for the sales support function, and working with other sales support staff in Singapore and Hong Kong to secure co-ordinated communication with London.
What we are looking for
• Good written, verbal and listening skills in order to process potentially complex requests.
• Can-do attitude and ready to assume broader assignment where necessary
• Proven team player with a flexible and pleasant nature, and common sense
• Detail- oriented
• Good organisational skills: ability to prioritise, multi-task, work under time pressure and meet deadlines
• Eagerness to learn new areas of investments
Skills and knowledge
• University degree required (Finance or Economics major preferred if possible)
• International experience (academic or professional)
• Previous work experience (preferably in asset management industry if possible)
• Fluent in both oral and writing in Japanese. Strong level of English is required
• Proficient with Microsoft Office products, especially Excel, PowerPoint and Word
M&G Prudential is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Our role as an employer is very simple – to provide the right environment for talented people to do their best work, by respecting, understanding and valuing individual differences.
We welcome applications from individuals who have taken an extended career break, and we are willing to consider flexible working arrangements for all of our roles.