We are looking for a long term investment...
We are not your average financial services firm and our unique culture is just one aspect that makes us stand out from the crowd. We offer a supportive environment that encourages innovation and creativity whilst maintaining a healthy lifestyle balance. You will be joining one of Europe’s leading Investment Management firms where you can expect real responsibility and recognition from day one. We are large enough to offer a wide variety of career opportunities, whilst small enough to treat you as an individual and tailor training and development to your specific needs.
The UK Stewardship Code was first introduced in 2010, setting the benchmark for institutional investors to meet ownership responsibilities in respect of their holdings of UK equities – M&G has been supportive of the Code since its inception and has been financing impact investments on behalf of clients since the 1930s. By demonstrating that investments can generate attractive risk-adjusted returns, as well as benefit society and the environment, we are able to work together with our clients towards achieving the same global goals.
Stewardship is very much linked to good governance. As an asset manager, we recognise the importance of accountability to our clients for the stewardship of their assets and seek to add value by pursuing an active investment policy through portfolio management decisions, maintaining a constructive dialogue with management and by voting on resolutions at general meetings. Our investment teams and dedicated Corporate Finance & Stewardship team are committed to active engagement with investee companies to enhance value for our clients.
Our approach to our stewardship principles are outlined below:
• Stewardship policy – institutional investors should publicly disclose their policy on how they will discharge their stewardship responsibilities;
• Managing conflicts of interest – institutional investors should have a robust policy on managing conflicts of interest in relation to stewardship, and this policy should be publicly disclosed;
• Monitoring investee companies – institutional investors should monitor their investee companies;
• Escalation of stewardship activities – institutional investors should establish clear guidelines on when and how they will escalate their stewardship activities;
• Collaborative engagement – institutional investors should be willing to act collectively with other investors where appropriate;
• Voting – institutional investors should have a clear policy on voting and disclosure of voting activity;
• Stewardship and voting reporting – institutional investors should report periodically on their stewardship and voting activities.
There is an opportunity for an experienced professional to further develop the work of our Corporate Governance team, adding value to M&G and its clients, by providing a corporate governance and engagement service to the equity fund managers and analysts, as well as the wider investment team at M&G, for an agreed list of companies covering a range of activities including:
• Engaging with companies, alongside Fund Managers, on a variety of issues including governance, remuneration, board structures, strategy, sustainability and responsible investment issues such as ESG.
• Review company performance on an on-going basis.
• Effective management of price sensitive information and active involvement in capital raisings and corporate activity.
• Responsibility for execution of votes in a timely and considered manner.
• Liaising with UK Shareholder bodies, including the Investment Association, on proposals such as remuneration. Attend IA Share Scheme / Remuneration Committees on behalf of M&G, as appropriate.
• Contribute to the wider Corporate Finance & Stewardship agenda on all areas including share ownership policies, responsible investment, regulatory developments, engagement with external parties and developing voting polices and guidelines.
Reports to the Head of Corporate Finance & Stewardship
Requirements and Experience
This role is ideally suited to someone who can demonstrate:
• A sound knowledge of listed corporates in the UK, Europe and globally.
• Familiarity with engagement with Boards and senior company management at listed corporates.
• Familiarity with capital raisings and corporate activity.
• Familiarity with the legal and regulatory framework surrounding shareholder engagement and intervention with Boards and with investee companies.
• Excellent attention to detail and effective analytical skills.
• Good communication skills.
• A flexible and adaptable approach and an ability to build good relationships internally and externally.
• Ability to work within a team environment and be a role model for good business practises.
• Client and delivery focussed.
• Good planning and organisational skills; effective problem-solving skills.
• Maintain professional competence; identify and fulfil regulatory requirements applicable to the role.
• An understanding and commitment to the principles of Treating Customers Fairly, in order to deliver the best results to customers.
M&G is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Our role as an employer is very simple – to provide the right environment for talented people to do their best work, by respecting, understanding and valuing individual differences.
We welcome applications from individuals who have taken an extended career break, and we are willing to consider flexible working arrangements for all of our roles.